Saturday, January 4, 2014

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Recipe

Today is an oatmeal raisin kind of day. It's cold and windy here in northern Ohio, so we will stay inside. I do have other motivations for baking cookies today; recently our neighbor helped us out of a huge jam. He is a plumber (lucky, I know!)  and we had a horribly clogged sink. Long story short, he was at our house for a couple of hours fixing the pipes. All he said that he would like in return (other than me to stop using the sink as a garbage can) was some cookies, oatmeal raisin. Those also happen to be my husband's favorite and so today I made a batch for them both. I'll share my recipe with you all here. Warning: this recipe is nowhere near diet friendly. I used white flour, a cup of crisco, and sugar! These babies are addicting, I'll apologize to your New Year's resolution later! ;) 

What you'll need:
1 c shortening
3/4 c white sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla 
2 eggs
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 3/4 c rolled oats (not instant!)
1 1/2 c raisins

How She Does It: 
Preheat your oven to 375F. Put your raisins in a bowl and cover them with hot water. This will help the raisins puff up a bit! (Please don't skip this step!!!)
Put the shortening and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Cream them together.
While the mixer is on, add the vanilla & eggs- one at a time. Beat until fluffy. Mix in the flour, salt, cinnamon, & baking soda. 
Feel free to make a mess while adding the oats as long as you have dogs to clean it up... Or a broom. 
Drain the raisins and gently pat them dry. Then, stir them into the mix.

Drop the dough by the teaspoon full onto a silpat (or parchment paper) lined baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes. They will continue to cook on the sheet for a couple of minutes. Allow to cool on a rack and enjoy!

I took some to the neighbor while they were still hot and his face lit up, priceless!

This is a great recipe if you are new to baking. You can also add walnuts, m&ms, chocolate chips, other dried fruit, ect. Feel free to comment with your questions and as always...

Welcome Home.



2 comments:

  1. Love the comment about the dogs- my kitchen and dining room are always thoroughly "swept" by Fritz! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy to hear from you. Feel free to leave your thoughts :)