Sunday, October 11, 2015

Chicken injuries & the pecking order

Fall is never dull when you have animals to care for.
Hello Napoleon. This hen is the smallest of our half dozen flock. She is little, bossy, and unhappy with her position in life. As a result she tried to change her place in the flock's pecking order. She began instigating and causing problems. 
My other hens put her in her place and left a pretty bad bald spot on Napolen's back. About 2-3 hours after I checked on them, the troublem maker ended up bloody and in pain. I had to separate her so that she could heal. She's on the mend and before putting her back with the others I am going to fashion her a coat to protect her back while she regrows her feathers. This will probably take a month or so.

Meanwhile, my 3 year old started preschool... I know, and I can hardly stand it! My sweet 4 month old is a rolling over machine. The best part is that they totally adore each other. Be still my heart!  It has been a crazy busy fall but I wouldn't have it any other way! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so happy to hear from you. Feel free to leave your thoughts :)