Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Well hello teeny tiny 1st egg!

We have had our new chickens for about a month now. Upon arrival they were pretty skittish. They've luckily calmed down quite a bit with the help of several fun treats from my sweet three year old.

They've gotten bigger, they've  been eating more, and man have we been hoping for them to start laying eggs. They were quite the freeloaders until this morning. Usually my husband checks the chickens in the morning but today we waited until the afternoon and lo and behold we were able to collect our first egg from our new hens. 


Technically they began laying about two days ago but the eggs' shells were so thin that I couldn't even pick them up without breaking them. After we saw that they were laying thin shelled eggs we decided to go to the local feed and seed store and pick up some calcium (oyster shells) and scratch for our girls. I sure am glad we did because it seems like that did the trick. The new egg shells are nice and thick and I'm super excited that we will soon be able to eat breakfast every day courtesy of our own hens again. 🐓🐔

In other news, I had a baby boy & we are so excited to introduce David.
He arrived on May 29th weighing 8 pounds and 14 ounces and he was 20 inches long. We quickly fell in love and are so enjoying getting to know our newest family member. As a mom of two life certainly has been quite different but I am so proud to announce that my daughter has become an extremely helpful and sweet big sister. I fell in love with her all over again seeing her sweet tender love of her brother.
 

And I just think to myself in this moment everything is right. I love these kids to the moon and back and they just make my heart feel like it's going to explode.

Sorry that I've been gone a while but I'm sure you can understand life is gotten quite busy; hopefully I'll be back to blogging & as always...

Welcome home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so happy to hear from you. Feel free to leave your thoughts :)