Thursday, September 4, 2014

Toddlers, Cleaning Supplies, and Racist Undertones, oh my!


I'm not 100% sure but it seems as though there is a season to buy miniature cleaning supplies and right now we are in the off season. Hubby and I have been searching for a little broom and mop for El and after hitting 6 different retailers, we came up empty. This morning might as well have been Christmas in our home as my husband walked in the door with a fully assembled (yes, batteries and all) and out-of-the-box cleaning trolley for our two year old. 

As she toddled away turning the vaccum cleaner on and off a hundred or so time, I casually looked over hubby's purchase.


My first impression was that it looked like the kind of cart a housekeeper in a hotel would push around. The spray bottle and laundry soap box are labelled, "Just Like Home". To top it off, the child on the box appears to be Hispanic. Uh, yeah, my thoughts exactly! 


Maybe it's a coincidence but the not-so-subtle irony was apparent. It makes me think of the one & only episode of Family Guy I have ever watched (just not my thing) and their housekeeper, Consuela. Ah, but I digress. El happily played with her cart and is getting pretty good with the dust pan. I put a handful of dry noodles on the floor for her to practice her "mommy's helper skills". Can anyone remind me about the toddler labor laws in Ohio? 

Welcome Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so happy to hear from you. Feel free to leave your thoughts :)