Saturday, August 23, 2014

Tomato Basil Quiche Recipe

My mouth is watering just thinking about this quiche. For me, tomato basil quiche is perfect for any meal (ahem, every meal). This is the first pie I've made entirely from scratch. Usually I just buy frozen pie crust but let's just say I was feeling ambitious. So without much yapping from me, here's my favorite adaptation of Tomato Basil Quiche.


Start by making (or buying) your favorite crust recipe. I usually leave out most of the sugar as this is a savory dish.

This year I grew a lot of tomatoes. 3 different varieties and 8 plants. Can we say beta-carotene overload!? Literally I have gone all "bubba" from Forrest Gump on you guys. Tomato sandwiches, tomato capris salad, grilled tomatoes, tomato sauce, okay you get the picture! So grab your tomatoes and here's how to make this quiche (didn't I say I was done yapping? Sorry I lied).

[a small glimpse of our produce from the garden this year]


The What:
Prepared pie crust 
3 eggs
15 halved cherry tomatoes 
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb of sausage (we use turkey sausage)
1/4 cup chopped basil
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Salt & Pepper to taste

The How:
Preheat your oven to 350F. 
Brown the sausage and thoroughly drain off any excess fat. 
Combine all ingredients and pour into the pie crust. 
Please be sure to salt this dish prior to cooking. It's better to salt before, than after. 
Bake for 27-32 minutes or until top is set. Allow at least 15 minutes to cool and set up before slicing (don't skip this step).
This recipe has 8 servings and depending upon the pie crust you make, it has about 265 calories per serving.

I hope you love this as much as my whole family does. Yum!

Welcome Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so happy to hear from you. Feel free to leave your thoughts :)